Every company should strive for employees to fit into their corporate culture as their real voices and to live it with passion. Easier said than done – turning employees into brand ambassadors doesn’t happen overnight. Brand ambassadorship needs to be demonstrated by example and the guys at the top need to walk the talk.
At the end of the day your employees are your company, what better cheerleaders than them. Here are some tips to help you get it right.
- Make them feel they are part of the team. Nobody is going to go beyond the call of duty if they feel undervalued and invalidated. Make every single employee understand the value they hold in your team and be sure to acknowledge them every step of the way. The more you flow positive word power to them the more they will instinctively do and feel part of the team.
- Make them part of the team. As employees working in your company environment, understanding the business and brand should come naturally. Make them part of your decisions, get them involved in new marketing campaign ideas, ask them for their input on things you wouldn’t ordinarily do and ensure you have comfortable infrastructures in place for them to communicate and bond on a social level now and again. Sure, final decisions need to be made by the relative specialist divisions of the company but include your employees in a lot more than just giving orders and watch how they change for the better and add much more value.
- Recognition and Reward. Give praise to those who really promote your brand on their own accord. Show them they are the shining stars that they really are. Brand ambassadorship doesn’t come easily so acknowledge these efforts and they will continue. Make a fuss and let the shining stars set a great example to inspire others to do the same with heart.
- Encourage the use of Social Media. If companies have social media sites blocked to some of their employees well that will already count as a flunk. From a personal perspective it’s not right bearing in mind that you would literally be cutting them off from the rest of the world and their life. And remember, employees are your finest ambassadors especially for start-ups in social business. Have a fair social media policy in place, ensure it’s understood and encourage and nurture the use of social media. Make them understand your brand social media strategy and goals. Go social, it makes perfect sense.
- Allow your employees to blog as ambassadors of your company. After all they are at the heart of your business and understand most that needs to be understood. What better way to get your company blog blowing full steam ahead than with your own insider industry experts. Put faces to the names at your company and allow people to let their creative juices flow and you will probably be amazed at the great results. Check the content for the obvious and get it published.
Remember – People are not indispensable but true passion is hard to find. If you have gems which I am sure you do, polish them and treat them with care.
Blog by Daniela Bascelli (Social Media and Digital Marketing Strategist | Trainer at Onyx Digital Team). Follow Daniela on Twitter: @danielabascelli and follow the team @onyxdigitalteam. For more information on our upcoming social media training and service offerings, please contact us.