Is your mobile data secure while you are on holiday?
A comprehensive approach to mobile security is the only way to be sure you can fully relax on your vacation and when you get back to the office.
Lets take a look at some interesting facts about smartphones and tips to help you better prepare and protect your information.
- 45% increase in productivity when people use mobile apps for work.
- 80% of BYOD activity is unmanaged. This is a security risk, can you bear a data breach at the beach?
Here are the most popular places to lose your phone on vacation:
- Sightseeing 25%.
- Airport 23%.
- Hotel 22%.
- Public Transportation 18%.
- Rental Car 12%.
Sunscreen won’t protect your data!
- 73% of employees said they access information that could be considered sensitive or confidential.
- 67% don’t use a security solution for their mobile devices.
- 59% report that employees circumvent or disengage security features such as passwords and key locks.
- 51% experience data loss resulting from employee use of unsecured mobile devices.
- 42% send work related docs BUT 41% don’t use complex passwords or change their passwords regularly.
Watch out for Pick Pockets! The cost of a mobile data breach could sink you and your company
- 174M records were stolen in data breaches.
- R55M average cost of a breach.
Major causes of a data breach
- 29% system glitches.
- 37% malicious attacks.
- 35% negligence/human factor.
There’s no time to relax when you’re managing mobile security.
Here are some of the strategies that IT departments are implementing today.
- 37% require employees to lock screens.
- 24% use security software.
- 21% use mobile application management software.
- 17% make employees report issues quickly.
- 11% restrict downloads.
- 7% build an internal app store.
- 6% installed location tracking software on devices.
Watch out! Criminals and hackers don’t go on vacation.
While you’re out travelling and exploring the world, they may be exploring the confidential data on your device.
More than 75% of all malicious code has basically one goal: to steal your data.
Top mobile threats by type.
- 28% collects device data.
- 25% tracks user.
- 24% sends content.
Would appreciate your comments. How do you manage your mobile security?
Blog by Daniela Bascelli
Daniela Bascelli (Social Media and Digital Marketing Specialist | Founder at Onyx Digital Team). Follow Daniela on Twitter: @danielabascelli and follow the team @onyxdigitalteam. For more information on our upcoming social media training and service offerings, please contact us.
About Onyx Digital Team
The Onyx Digital Team is a group of social media and digital experts based in South Africa, dealing with local and international companies. We are available for global strategy consulting and training to assist clients in creating meaningful and interactive online relationships, adding value to their customers. With vast digital and social recruitment experience we have also become the “go to marketing strategists” in creating compelling online campaigns for launches and advertising. We also arrange social media teams at events to create content for social networks for added publicity and exposure.